Saturday, October 6, 2012

Designing Maps

When I think of Information Design I think of road maps.  In order to organize the layout of my state, somebody has to go from point A to point B and relate it to all the other locations around it.  By using location as the organizer, a road map explains to me where I am and I can use it to direct me where to go. Should I turn right or left?  Am I in the country or city?  Will there be parking available?  These are a few questions that need to be answered when you’re traveling to a new location.  Maps also tell us the name of the roads, towns, and the distance between specific areas, they tell us the type of road, and it points out locations of interest. 

Information involves time or numbers or continuum, and by organizing information by location, maps are created (Jacobson, 2000, p. 275, 276). 
Jacobson, R. (2000). Information design. (p. 2765& 276). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press

3 comments:

  1. I think maps would have to be my second choice when it comes to favorite theories and styles of information design (coming behind my primary choice of plain language theory). I feel maps are a visual of explaining something to someone whether it's how you get somewhere or how to even work something.

    Maps could work very well in conjunction with the plain language theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as though you still ought to apply how "mapping" correlates to the blogging community. Also, I think it would be helpful for you to use some graphic illustrations to solidify the points you made in your entry.

    That being said, your title is very clear and conveys your topic without ambiguity.

    From a content standpoint, I feel as though the line of rhetorical questions sort of catches the reader off guard and puts him in an uncomfortable position. Perhaps using a pro con list to answer or point out these questions would be a more proactive approach to making your point

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way of looking at it! This made me think about questions in general. Basically, all questions we have require us to have some form of information design. All answers to questions have information behind the answer. Our whole world is full of information design!!! :)

    ReplyDelete